Interviews for New Employees

We are interviewing for a new receptionist. A few months ago we changed how we do interviews. I have found that I prefer the person who wants a job to conduct the interview of us. This gives me an insight on what they find as valuable to them.

I was stumped with how to help them be ready. To that end I made this exciting video:

[https://youtu.be/nFEL4Xx5XVA](http://Interview Info)

Just wondering if this is easy to understand.

2 Likes

I like it @glenn I also like how you are sharing your vision for the role also. That you are looking for someone long term who wants to build their career with you.

I’ve always split the interview into two parts for the same reason. I’ve always said we’re not just looking for the right person but the candidate is looking for the right employer. I like that you are preparing them for questions. I used to spend that time explaining our culture, training, career planning and things lile that.

Interesting @adam in only doing the second part I can tell how they handle getting a conversation started. I have enough sales training for example if they ask about the day to day activities or the job responsibilities. To have a conversation like this:

Them: Can you explain some of the items I will be doing on a daily basis
Me: (short version) Answering the phone, taking messages, excepting payments and posting into the computer. What types of experience do you have in these areas?
Them: I have been typing since I was 3 years old and can take messages and send them out very quickly.
Me: (short version) That is great! What area do you think you will need the most training in?
Them: Processing payments
Me: Why is that?
Them: I have an ATM card I pay for everything with and real have never counted money.
Me: Very interesting. So what other things would you like to know about working here at Lehman …

I still get to the facts. If they miss something I really care about then I ask conversationally.
Me: I noticed you did not ask if this was a stressful job. What kind of assumptions are you making in this area?

1 Like

I don’t know what I found more interesting @glenn the context of the script or the content of the script. Either I found both interesting :slight_smile:

Very cool that you have the ability to drive the conversation. This is great content for our members. There are many people that struggle with the interview process and reply heavy on the resume to make recruitment decisions. We know that is a big mistake! It is just as important that you find the right people for your culture and vision, not just the technical skills.

2 Likes

We hired a new receptionist today who picked us to interview because she want to leave social media marketing and move into real estate … can you say future BDM

1 Like

@jeremy what do you think about this as an interview process…

Hi Glenn

Interesting. How do you use this with graduates/entry level where they actually don’t know what they are going to do?

Do you also try them on how suited and align they are to your values?

Interested by your view on this because for me retention starts on the first interview, and retention is one of the most challenging part of this industry especially with young crews.

Thanks
Marine

1 Like

@marine I tell them up front to come prepared to ask questions. If they have none I just don’t hire them. I am looking for people who can think on their feet and solve their own problems.

I have had questions like these:

What is a typical day like?
How do you train your new employees?
What are the work hours?
Can I eat at my desk?
I am not sure what to ask, do you have any questions?

I will if someone does not have any questions and is just nervous I try a conversation like this?

If you are going to get up every day and come here to work, what type of things (other then getting paid) are important to you?

They say something like: A fun place to work, A place where I can grow, I place where I can use my degree,

I then say: What kind of questions can you ask to help you determine if we are a good fit for you and meet that requirement?

If they still have no questions I explain it is vital they ask these question as my entire decision about their future rests on their ability to ask questions.

Still no questions I end the interview and wish them luck.

1 Like

Love it! thanks @glenn! it does make a lot of sense!

1 Like

This is the bomb!![Ideal Team Player Interview Questions]
https://www.tablegroup.com/imo/media/doc/IdealTeamPlayerINTERVIEWQUESTIONS(11)singlepages.pdf(https://www.tablegroup.com/imo/media/doc/IdealTeamPlayerINTERVIEWQUESTIONS(11)singlepages.pdf)

3 Likes

this is great! thanks Sarah!

1 Like

Thank you! Not sure this :taco: can be counted but you deserve it!

2 Likes

Best book ever @sarah It should be required reading for all leaders :+1:t2:

1 Like

After your Round Table talk @sarah I brought 3 copies, (I also have the audio book and on Kindle! Love it!

So I used the team interview questions for 2 interviews I had in a row:

• 1 was a professional that had been doing property management, had a portfolio of properties and shares
    -1 was an 18 year old, utterly nervous about the interview.

Interestingly, the 18 year old aced all the questions. The other one didn’t. It’s been a very interesting afternoon getting to know these 2 guys. The one that will definitely get an offer is the second one.

Thanks Sarah, these questions have been a game changer as far as I’m concerned

1 Like

Thats awesome!! Just make sure you think twice before you got your team to read it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes