Demand of a Property Manager

Hi Guys, can you believe we are more than half way through the year, with 4 months to go before Christmas will be here again, wondering if anyone else is dealing with rude and demanding potential tenants? I am finding that people are becoming more aggressive and rude when they are wanting to apply for a new property. Just wondering how you are dealing with this and if this is happening to you too?

7 Likes

It’s quite astonishing how time flies, and we’re already more than halfway through the year. If anyone else has noticed an increase in dealing with demanding and rude individuals in your professional interactions, I’d like to share some strategies I’ve found effective in managing such situations:

1. Setting Clear Expectations: In any professional engagement, whether it’s with clients, customers, or colleagues, setting clear expectations from the outset can help prevent misunderstandings and reduce frustration.
  2. Maintaining Professionalism: Regardless of the behavior of individuals, maintaining professionalism is key. Keeping your composure and remaining courteous can help de-escalate tense situations.
  3. Documentation: It’s a good practice to document all interactions, be it through emails, notes, or records. This documentation can be invaluable in case any disputes or issues arise later.
  4. Consistency: Consistency in your approach and decision-making can contribute to a fair and transparent process.
  5. Effective Communication: Open and timely communication is essential. Even when dealing with demanding individuals, ensuring that they feel heard can help ease tensions.
  6. Leveraging Technology: In the modern world, technology can be a valuable ally in streamlining processes and reducing the potential for conflicts. Consider using appropriate tools or software to enhance your operations.
  7. Team Support: Discussing challenging situations with your team or peers can provide you with fresh perspectives and emotional support.

In a world that’s constantly evolving, the dynamics of professional interactions may change as well. Staying adaptable and open to learning from each experience is a valuable skill. I’d love to hear from others about how they handle similar situations in their professional lives.

4 Likes

Hi @eloisewilkinson - This post makes me so SAD! We too are experiencing this.

Quite simply, it’s wearing the property managers down. What is a legislation, compliance driven, box ticking job is hardened by dealing with these types of people.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a small minority but boy does that small minority seem to take up most of my agent’s headspace and workspace. I see this more often in the newer staff, i.e not the seasoned ones who just shrug their shoulders and move on to the next one.

Its breaking people down, and in NZ (& from what I understand Aus) finding people in the industry is difficult. People don’t stay in this industry, and I don’t know how we change it to keep people around.

1 Like