MBIE Compliance Audit

Hi All,
I haven’t posted before, but read many of your posts, all very helpful, thanks
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I’m about to have the MBIE Compliance Audit team in my office (Wednesday), which I was thinking would by okay until I get this e-mail today stating the following:
“Please note, TCIT have identified that your commercial premises is attached to a residential premises. MBIE health and safety requirements are that staff wear protective equipment when visiting a residential site. My colleague and I will be wearing stab resistant vests and body worn cameras as per policy. We will not expect to switch our cameras on for our interview.
Please do let me know if you have any questions regarding this.”
I’m really not sure what to think, apart from astounded that someone would send such an e-mail, a stab proof vest and cameras. Really!!
Any thoughts great appreciated.

2 Likes

Wow, it’s amazing where the world is going in this regard.
Not the best way to break the ice or make an agency feel comfortable about an upcoming Audit. I imagine that it is better this way that just turning up like that.
I also imagine that the auditors are just as uncomfortable with the vests and personal cameras.
From what I understand, if everything is in order it will be a fairly easy process.

2 Likes

Good lord! Maybe you should invest in one too. Lol
I always wonder about the incident which lead to the stupid thing…

1 Like

Thanks Gavin, will be an interesting morning :wink:

1 Like

Yep, wondered if we all need to wear a stab resistant vests at work and out to inspections as they are all residential premises, the world’s gone mad!

1 Like

Unfortunately this shows MBIE’s understanding and attitude towards Residential Rentals. I think its totally a case of PC over-sight gone mad, but scary!

Do let us know how you go, thinking of you today. I am sure that you will fly though!

1 Like

They arrived at 10am and were wearing huge fluro orange stab proof vests with cameras and in addition had to report in every hour, total overkill, what were they thinking.
Anyway the interview was for 2 hours, asked lots of questions and will get back to me.
On the bright side the staff have got huge laughs out of the e-mail!!!

2 Likes

I guess MBIE understands sending staff into unfamiliar territory can be dangerous – and better to be safe than sorry attitude is not a bad thing. Anyone see what was in the papers today? https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12305372 ! landlord ran over the tenant in haste - trying to rush out of a property fearing for his life.
I foresee the future where property inspections and viewings etc by property managers, valuers and real estate agents having to be done in pairs or maybe even wearing the same stab proof vests etc. Not cool, but also if we had to wear them, the plus side - we could brand them with our own company logos.

1 Like

Just a quick update, yes full fluro stab resistant vests with cameras for two hours , they kept them on the entire meeting and had to call in to head office every two office on the walkie talkies, so was an interesting meeting.

1 Like