What is your BDM Game Changer

Hi LPMA Team,

What have you done over the last 12 months that has been your BDM Game Changer?

Like to let me know you’re interested … and comment if you want me to reveal mine :wink:

Let’s go LPMA community - let’s have it!

7 Likes

Hi @michelle2, I am starting at a new office in a BDM role. I have done BDM previously but have been out of the game for 12 months now. I welcome all tips and suggestions to better myself and be a game changer. I would love to hear from you and what your game changer is?

6 Likes

Hi Michelle,

We are about to offer up a new BDM position here at The Rental Experts (formerly Integrity Asset Management) and we are looking to forge into the multiple referral sphere as well the head lease agreement sphere.

Regards Russ

3 Likes

This sounds very interesting @russell.kirby I look forward to hearing more about it

Hey welcome @rebeccahill :slight_smile:

It will be slowly slowly with the head lease agreements as I know absolutely nothing about them at this stage (No surprises there given my background). With regard to the BDM position, it is something I have wanted to get rolling for some time. Our PM is far too busy with PMing to do anything else, so maybe a part time PM (to help out the current PM) who wants to branch out into the BDM world. Thoughts???

2 Likes

@russell.kirby this is something I’m passionate about.

Property Management is a reactive role which makes a PM’s strengths multitasking, time management and attention to detail. This is a reactive role and requires a conservative and organised person.

Business development is a sales role which requires excellent networking, prospecting and the ability to qualify and close deals quickly. They are driven by a catch and reward mentally. The is a proactive role and requires extroverted, self-motivated people.

1. Generally property managers do not make good BDMs and BDMs do not make good property managers because they are very different personality types.

2. PM is a reactive role where they will always find things to do, regardless of the number of properties they manage. If they were to share this role 50/50 with a BDM role, no BDM work will ever get done, except walk-in or phone-in enquiries.

Sorry, a very long rant but I have never seen a hybrid PM/BDM work. Saying that I’m always happy to be proven wrong.

5 Likes

Well that’s got me thinking now. Thanks for that advice. Oddly enough, we only posted the job on SEEK Wednesday arvo and we have 6 applications already. Someone must feel as though they can get this done.

I’ll most certainly keep you posted.

Russ

2 Likes

No problems @russell.kirby Let me know if you want to jump on a call and chat more about it.

1 Like

That would be great Adam if you have a minute or 2. Just let me know when you have some time and I will fit into that timing.

2 Likes

Its about time for the big reveal… @michelle2

2 Likes

Being a CONNECTOR! I relish meeting landlords and finding out what they are looking for/need or want. In some cases they may not even know what they are looking for/need or want! I have the privilege of knowing some game changers in this industry whether that is landlords, developers, builders, surveyors, community organisations and I am passionately passionate (is this gramatically correct?!) about connecting people who I know will contribute/colloborate and share ideas with each other for positive outcomes. For me being a SUPER CONNECTOR is my BDM game changer!

6 Likes

This is awesome @michelle2 thanks for sharing. I think that is an awesome quality to drive growth for your business.

1 Like

Well, it has come to pass Adam, that the BDM / PT PM experiment is about to start but on a very small scale. Will keep you posted.

Regards Russ

2 Likes

Agree with that.
As the 2 owners of the business we have split BDM and the Letting manager tasks from the Property Management role.
Works well for us and when we grow more the BDM will be a stand alone role.

2 Likes

Hi Rebecca,

Adam spoke to me the other day on the phone and we ran thru my “out of left field” BDM / PT PM role. Can I ask how many managements you have? We are currently quite small (104) and I’m keen to see if the 2 can mix.

Regards Russ

1 Like

We are running at 250 currently. Simone handles BDM and new tenant letting (opens, applications etc ) as she has built the rapport with the new landlord. I then manage the tenancy with routine, re-leasing, maintenance etc through to the vacate, then we start again. Works for the two of us as it plays to our strengths. Simone is ex sales :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What a great system. Our version is a little more convoluted as I don’t play in the PM space that much as I have a number of different hats I wear within the group of companies I manage (and it’s a fairly diverse group). We are about to put on a PT PM to help out and I like the split of labour you run with.

1 Like