What's your Staff / Property Ratio

I have been having an interesting conversation with one of our members, they have asked me to post this in the forums for them.

The question is:

We all know our Property Manager / Property Ratio, but what happens when you add in all contributing staff (ignoring growth and managment) what is your ratio then?

To awnser, I have given Wendell’s stats here as an example.

Wendells we have 3 admin, 4 property Managers (full time) 2 team leaders (Also running properties) and 1 letting. so if you ignore BDM & Manager then were 10 staff for 700 properties. So, 70/1.

I am assuming that this is quite low comparativly, as we are fortunate enough in Auckland to enjoy high avarage fee’s and avarage rents. But would love to know how you work this out in your own business, what is your number.

I beleive LPMA has some stats on this through our sister company Ailo, I will do some digging and report back so you can benchmark your own numbers.

1 Like

Interesting that yours came out at 70 properties per person @ashley.giles. I did a heap of benchmarking a couple of years ago and the average was about 80 so you aren’t too far below the mark.

I’ve always been taught, and run off 1:100 ratio. So in your instance for example @ashley.giles, here in Aus, you guys would more than have capacity for growth.

2 Likes

yea cool, thats support staff too?

I think we are defiantly on the lower side which is part of the business strategy and brand promise… A cost of us also having “One staff Member up our sleve” :slight_smile:

Interesting, I did think we had data on this at some point…

The office I was discussing this with (and who asked me to post) came in at 77.1 so they are bang on!

1 Like

Yeh that number sound right @rikki if you don’t include support staff

1 Like

That includes anyone working in the PM department so from reception (if pm dedicated) to leasing, through to Head of Department. Would also include VA’s. This is a minimum number though and with the right VA structure in place I believe it could be a lot more @ashley.giles

1 Like

Yea okay… Totally agree, 100/1 would be far more profitable and thats awesome if this is a benchmark you have seen, something to aspire to in the efficiencies…

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for putting this out there. As discussed we are currently running 65.9/1 but I am including our BDM and myself (10 in total) as there is a crossover of roles on any given day and we operate a One Team business model. My aim is a 75/1 portfolio (today anyway) as we also have the benefit of high rents and occupancy and I would like to achieve a work life balance for my team (work hard play hard).

1 Like

Thanks Craig,

I think your ratios are very strong, good work! Thanks for positing…

At some stage, I would love for you to share your success in having an In House Building resource. This is quite a unique approach and one that has served your business and landlords very well I think… Notably with Healthy Homes which is upon us now.

Cheers,

1 Like