Who is your Marketing Person?

Wendell Property was recently up for 2 awards in the 2019 Westpac Business Awards. I attended the Gala Dinner evening in preparation to hear if we had won either of the categories. We were successful in one, (Employer of the year) and a finalist in another (Customer Service of the Year). But that is not what this post is about.

What struck us, was the size and caliber of the finalists we were up against.
https://www.bobux.co.nz/ (a manufacturer of high-end children’s shoes, 400 staff over 6 countries and 12 full-time people in their marketing team)
https://woop.co.nz/ (high-end fresh food delivery with 200 staff and 8 full-time people in their marketing teams)

We don’t have a marketing team. We have my wife, @natalie who does an incredible job but is also the Ops manager, the General Manager, a mother to our 3 young boys (you get the picture she is a busy woman)! We worked out, at best we have about 1 1/2 hours a month she can be “Wendell’s Marketing Department”.

So, how do you compete? How as small business, or even medium business can we compete with the mega marketing tallant and budgets of our competitors. If you are part of a franchise, (like ray white especially) you have got a head start! You have loads of material that comes from “Corporate” you just have to get it out there… But if you don’t, then its all on you!

So my question or comment I guess is… "How do you juggle being everything, as well as the Marketer for your business effectively? Is this something you schedule or outsource perhaps? Is there someone in your team who is responsible for this if it is not you? and how do we succeed at this if we are an independent up against powerful machines in the marketplace???

1 Like

This is a great question. We would be excited to hear what other businesses are doing as we are working on content in this space and it would be great to share what other LPMA members are doing.

I have to admit I, only 18 months ago, ventured into the Facebook and Youtube space for marketing. The key in this space is not to market directly to your audience but to be seem and an expert in your area by posting educational content on your clients friction points. The most common one asked by potential landlords is “What to look for in a Property manager”.

if you have a website with this sort of content on it. we’d love to hear from you.

1 Like